Recent Fire Damage Posts
Kitchen Fire Prevention
Cooking fires are the most common house fire. They are also the most dangerous. Follow these tips to keep your family and home safe while in the kitchen.
Never leave the kitchen
While you are cooking or even while you are just preheating the oven, never leave a hot stove or oven unattended. The most common kitchen fires are caused by leaving cooking food unattended. If for some reason you have to leave the kitchen, be sure to remove all pots and pans from the hot stove top and from inside the oven.
Be aware of your surroundings
While you are cooking, try to avoid wearing long-sleeves or any clothing that might be too big for you. Also, if you have long hair try to keep it tied back while cooking. Be aware of where you place kitchen towels and oven mitts, make sure to keep them away from the hot stove top. Make sure there is not anything flammable near the stove top while it is on.
If there ever should be a fire in the kitchen, make sure you are prepared. Make sure to check and change the batteries in the smoke detector regularly. Make sure your fire extinguisher is up to date and not damaged. Also, if a fire was to occur in your home make sure to go over a fire escape plan with your family so that they know where to go and what to do.
If you ever experience a fire in your home call SERVPRO of Western Lake County (219) 922-9300. We have a highly trained team and we are always here to help.
Winter Fire Hazards At Your Business
With the changing of the seasons comes cold weather. Who doesn’t love snuggling up before a warm fire at this time of year? We’ve pulled out the sweaters and fluffy blankets to stay toasty, and most of us will employ a space heater or two before spring comes around again.
In your place of business, you will be taking those extra steps to make sure your staff is comfortable during the colder months, as well. Let’s make sure they stay fire safe! Here are some winter fire hazards to be aware of:
- In your offices, the use of space heaters will be helpful. Inspect every unit used to make sure that cords and plugs are in good working condition, and enforce a policy that ensures they are never left running when the room is unoccupied or when the workday is over. Designate someone to oversee this; they should be the person who is normally last out the door. As the owner, it may very well be you.
- Employ a landscape company to remove leaves and dead vegetation from your property. In the event of a fire in your building, space that is cleared from the foundation and exterior walls will help firefighters to gain access as well as prevent a fire from spreading further.
- When repairing or renovating your offices or outbuildings, use fire-resistant materials whenever possible. Flooring, furniture, and paint can all be produced or treated after purchase to make them more fire safe.
We are always available to help you keep your business fire safe. In the event of damages sustained from fire or water, we have the experience and know how to complete a cleanup project quickly and efficiently, getting you back to work as soon as possible.
Smoke or Soot Damage in Northwest Indiana
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home. Talk about stinky!
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate every nook and cranny in your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise allows us to inspect and assess the extent of the damage to develop a plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each situation is a little different, a unique solution is tailored for your specific conditions. We have the equipment and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – (219) 922-9300.
Squeaky Clean? Absolutely!
Before & After Ultrasonic Cleaning
Why, this cleaner is auto-matic. It’s system-matic. Its hyyyyydro-matic. Why, it’s our omegasonic - ultrasonic cleaner!
If your home or business is damaged by fire, you want your valuables to be restored. As if it never happened! At SERVPRO of Western Lake County, we use the latest technology to ensure your items are sparkling clean. Maybe even cleaner than before the fire :)
Our ultrasonic cleaner uses cavitation bubbles to gently clean dirt and grime in the tiniest crevices. We use a water-based solution, which allows us to clean more parts more effectively without hand scrubbing or exposing your home or business to toxic chemicals. It's also great for cleaning non-fire damaged window blinds.
If you've had fire damage, call SERVPRO of Western Lake County today. We're open 24/7. Call us at (219) 922-9300.