Kitchen Fire Prevention
Cooking fires are the most common house fire. They are also the most dangerous. Follow these tips to keep your family and home safe while in the kitchen.
Never leave the kitchen
While you are cooking or even while you are just preheating the oven, never leave a hot stove or oven unattended. The most common kitchen fires are caused by leaving cooking food unattended. If for some reason you have to leave the kitchen, be sure to remove all pots and pans from the hot stove top and from inside the oven.
Be aware of your surroundings
While you are cooking, try to avoid wearing long-sleeves or any clothing that might be too big for you. Also, if you have long hair try to keep it tied back while cooking. Be aware of where you place kitchen towels and oven mitts, make sure to keep them away from the hot stove top. Make sure there is not anything flammable near the stove top while it is on.
If there ever should be a fire in the kitchen, make sure you are prepared. Make sure to check and change the batteries in the smoke detector regularly. Make sure your fire extinguisher is up to date and not damaged. Also, if a fire was to occur in your home make sure to go over a fire escape plan with your family so that they know where to go and what to do.
If you ever experience a fire in your home call SERVPRO of Western Lake County (219) 922-9300. We have a highly trained team and we are always here to help.